Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Broken Leg!

Sorry about the delay in posts. I always try to get our weekly post in by Tuesday morning at the latest, but I hope you can forgive my delay this week. You see, I broke my leg early Monday morning. It was quite the fiasco. I was getting ready for work and was coming downstairs to blow dry my hair so that I wouldn't wake Maddie up. Well, as I was walking down the stairs I noticed that the living room window was open and I started thinking about shutting it instead of paying attention to where I was walking. I over-stepped the fourth step from the bottom and my ankle gave out on me. This caused my leg to turn awkwardly, which ended up breaking my leg. Luckily once the break occurred, I landed on my butt and not my back or neck, I looked at my leg and could see the bone going a direction that bone shouldn't go. I yelled for Andrew and he came rushing downstairs and called 911 for me. There was no way that we alone could have gotten me off the floor, into the car and to the ER. So, at 4:45 AM I got to meet some firefighters and the EMS team.

They got me to the Aurora ER where they took XRays and determined that I had broke both my tibia and fibula in my lower leg. There were many breaks and I needed to go into surgery to have the breaks repaired. Once in surgery things looked worse than they did on XRay. They put in plate to hold some of the bone together, and they also put in screws to hold the little pieces in place. They also noticed that I have osteoporosis in my bones as well.

I was in surgery for about 2 hours, I believe and then was kept overnight on Monday night. Yesterday I had some physical therapy to learn how to walk with a walker. How fun! I was finally discharged home around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. Since I've gotten home I've been on the couch with my leg propped up.

I go back to the doctor tomorrow. He's going to remove my bandages to look at my leg and any swelling that might still be there. He said that depending on how things look he may or may not put a cast back on. He could possibly just do a brace. The brace sounds like a good option to me, because I would allow for easier showering and not having to worry about wearing the hot , heavy cast all summer. He will also tell me how long I will be out of commission. Currently it sounds like I have a strict no-weight bearing order for my right leg for 6-8 weeks!

We won't be able to go to Florida for Kristin's wedding now, so Andrew switched his week of vacation from next week to this week so he can help me out. He's been very helpful. He not only has to take care of me, but Maddie as well. Because of my no-weight bearing order I can't do anything for Maddie besides hold her when Andrew brings her to me. Poor guy has to take care of both of his girls.

So, that's what's been going on here at our house. I have some cute pictures of Maddie from the past week and from our Father's Day trip to Monroe. I will try to get those posted as soon as I can hobble into the other room to use the desktop computer.

I will keep you posted on what the doctor says tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get better soon! We love you!
Terri, Stu, & Abby

Anonymous said...

OHG!! I can't believe it!!
and just we we decided we were all going to get Tatoo's!!

I am going to be off around the 1st of August maybe i will try and come up and meet Maddie!

Take of your self!
Juli

The Kilps Family said...

Oh no! Sounds like a pretty bad break. I pray that things go as smoothly as possible at your house during these next 6-8 weeks and that your leg heals nicely. I can't imagine having a broken bone while trying to take care of a baby.

Hang in there!
Karen