Friday, June 12, 2015

Help us celebrate!!

In the first few weeks following the loss of our sweet baby girl, I was told about a book called "Choosing To See" by Mary Beth Chapman.  One of my rocks during those darkest days, Heather, had suggested the book to me.  Heather had read the book previously and thought it may help for me to hear Mary Beth's point of view going through the loss of her own daughter.  Reading through the book Mary Beth mentions a vacation she takes to Amelia Island in Florida.  I had never heard of Amelia Island before and it seemed perfect that a quaint little island in Florida, filled with beautiful beaches, would be named Amelia.  I knew at that moment we needed to visit. 

Fast forward to now...

We are coming up on a very important date.  In one week, on Friday, June 19th, it will be our sweet Amelia Anne's Second Birthday.  Way back in December we chose to take our once in a lifetime trip to Amelia Island this June, to celebrate our little Mia's second birthday with her there.  As the months have brought us closer to our trip, my heart is torn and I feel that we've made a huge mistake in planning our trip for this sacred time.  Let me tell you why: I am a person that follows tradition.  For the kids' birthdays we follow the same traditions each year:  wake up to streamers on the door (a tradition my mom had for my sister and I)  then special birthday pancakes for breakfast made by Daddy - one pancake in the shape of the number of years old they are and the second pancake in the shape of their choice.  The entire day is a special celebration from the moment they wake up until the moment they go to bed.  The other special time of the day when we take their official birthday picture at the exact time they were born.  I think the official picture might be my favorite tradition as it shows exactly how much each kiddo has grown over the past 365 days.  

With Amelia we started some new traditions last year for her first birthday.  We decorated her space with the official birthday banner, pink streamers and her birthday balloon.  We had TWO parties for her, complete with pink angel food cake and presents.  We also had so many friends and family wear pink on June 19th to help us honor our sweet girl - and not just in Monroe, but all over!  So, if our plan is to celebrate with Amelia on Amelia Island for her birthday, I have to leave the traditions behind in Monroe.  

We know that Amelia isn't stuck here in Monroe at her spot.. and that she will be celebrating with us in Florida as well.  But, I would like to ask you all for some help.  Just like last year we ask that you please celebrate with us!  Amelia has brought so many people together, she has taught us all so many things, she has altered so many paths - all for the better!  Please wear pink to remember our precious girl.  Send us pictures of you celebrating in your pink outfits!  Enjoy some angel food cake or send a balloon with a message to her!  We want to see how you partied with our big two year old. Share Amelia's story with your friends and loved ones if you choose.  Her story is one to be told, not hidden away.  I would love to make a spectacular blog post with all of the pictures you send me.  I want to post them on a map to see how far Amelia's love is spread out!  I can't think of a better way to celebrate!



Thank you so much for standing with us as we journey through this uncharted territory that we've covered over the last two years.  Without your love and support we wouldn't have made it.

Let's celebrate with Mia!  Happy 2nd Birthday sweet baby girl!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You will have a wonderful time celebrating our beautiful Amelia Anne in Florida. We will make sure her spot in Monroe is "celebrated" at.