Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween Festivities!

Saturday, October 30th started our official Halloween festivities.  We finally had a chance to sit down and carve pumpkins!  We bought some really nice pumpkins at Festival on the 9th but we left them outside and apparently pumpkins are a delicacy for our neighborhood squirrels.  I have never seen a squirrel eat a pumpkin before, but if you looked closely you could see that EVERY pumpkin that was outside in our neighborhood became lunch at one time or another!  We had to try to track some new pumpkins down and on the day before Halloween this becomes quite difficult.  With some help from Miss Jeanette we got two fantastic new, non-chewed, pumpkins!

Just like we did with the costumes this year, we let Maddie decide how we should carve our pumpkins.  The very first idea she had was Swiper the Fox.  I didn't know if we were going to be able to find a free carving pattern online, so I said I would try but I would like a back up idea.  She chose a scary snake.  I ended up finding a Swiper pattern in no time, but had absolutely no luck finding a snake!  I thought Mads wanted the Swiper pumpkin, but she decided that Nathan wanted Swiper.  She then decided that she wanted Cookie Monster on her pumpkin, which was fine because we had Sesame Street templates left over from last year. 


Getting things ready:
 Nathan entertained himself with the Nathan-sized pumpkin for awhile
 Mads helps remove the "guts"

 The finished products!  Maddie's Cookie Monster and Nathan's Swiper
 Nathan in his bone jammies and Swiper pumpkin
 Mads in her bone jammies and Cookie Monster pumpkin
 How cool!  Cookie and Swiper...  who knew they'd be friends?  :)

Then on Sunday we did some trick or treating. We had to modify Dora's outfit by adding tights, long sleeves and a jacket. Dora's tropical shorts ensemble just doesn't lend well to Wisconsin Halloweens! :)


At this house Mads said she wanted her picture taken with the "scary stuff!"
 Mads said her "tick or treat" and "thank you" at each house

 This picture cracks me up!  Mads was complaining that her bucket was too heavy!!
 She got over it pretty quickly when we said she had to keep carrying it if she wanted to do more trick or treating!

Diego just stayed snug and toasty in his stroller
The spoils!

Hope everyone else had a great Halloween!

No comments: