Nathan is such a good baby. He's very easy-going and a self-soother, which is good for me since I'm still trying to adjust to having two kiddos! He even sleeps well at night, in three to four hour stretches, which is awesome for me. I actually feel pretty rested and can function during the day. The most awesome thing, though, is that Nathan was born in warm weather! What a difference it makes to be able to go outside and not have to spend fifteen minutes bundling everyone up in order to leave the house! It's great for my mental state, as well, as I am NOT a person who can sit in the house! When I had Mads I was very weepy for at least six weeks after her birth. I don't know if it was because I was cooped up in the house or not, but I am a lot better this time around and I think it's because I'm able to stay pretty close to the routine I'm used to and get some fresh air. :)
Andrew was able to take time off from work after Nathan's birth. With the Fourth of July holiday and weekends he had 11 days off! We were able to make some trips to Target and the mall, as well as the doctor's office for Nathan's five day check up. In the hospital Nathan had lost weight and dropped to 7lbs 7oz. When we got to the doctor on Tuesday he was back up to 8lbs 3 oz. Just one ounce shy of his birth weight! And I was worried he wasn't eating!! He also grew an inch in five days!(that could be due to the very scientific measuring system they use...)
Andrew went back to work on July 6th, which happened to be the day of Nathan's next doctor appointment. The little guy, or should I say big guy, now weighs NINE POUNDS! Mads wasn't nine pounds until she was over three months old! He's still 21 inches, so I will consider that an accurate measurement now! :) The biggest news about our trip to the doctor was that it was the first day that I maneuvered two kids by myself! I have to say that it went pretty well. Other than Mads being upset that she didn't get to ride in the stroller, it was smooth sailing!
Once Andrew went back to work it was me and the kiddos on our own for a week. Mads stayed home with Nathan and I each day as our sitter was on vacation. Things went very well and we were able to get out a lot. We met up with friends on many occasions and went to Ripon to have lunch with Andrew once as well. Mads is quite the big sister. She LOVES to help and actually gets upset if you don't let her help. She likes to get the diapers and wipes for diaper changes, push the swing, pop the NUK back in for Nathan, give kisses and sing to her brother. She is absolutely adorable and loves him so much!
Mads started going back to the sitter yesterday. We wanted to keep her in her routine as well as give Nathan and I some Mom & Me time so she's going to keep going to Jeanette's twice a week to play with her friends. She had a blast yesterday but when she got home she told me that she "miss Mommy and brother." Doesn't that just make your heart melt?
That's a pretty quick recap of the last two and a half weeks. I have lots of pictures, too, which should help tell more of what we've been up to! :)
Nathan with his stuffed lion, a gift from Dad. (Taken in the hospital)
A little bit of awake time, two days old
Getting ready to head home on June 27, three days old
A family of FOUR!
Starting to fill the van up!
It's a Boy!
Nathan's a celebrity!
Meeting Lily for the first time
First bath at home, June 28, four days old
Not a fan!
Stretching out!
What a cutie! (Five days old)
We went to the mall because Mads wanted to get her brother a present! She picked a Build-A-Bear monkey!
Stuffing it...
Scrubbing it...
Nathan with his Jedi Monkey from Mads! (Outfit picked out by Dad) Six days old
Trying out the swing for the first time. He likes it alot more than Mads ever did!
We've found that Nathan sleeps best when he's burrito'd up in his warmest fuzzy blanket. I, of course, worry that he's going to overheat, but he loves to be a toasty dude! (Eight days old)
Testing out his crib. He's still sleeping in the bassinet in our room, though. (Nine days old)
For the Fourth of July weekend we had friends come over for dinner on Saturday. Since it was toasty we decided to get the pool out. Mads was super excited to help fill it!
I showed her how to take a drink from the hose, fully expecting her to douse herself in water. She did it perfectly! Not a drop on her!
Swimming? More like lounging! :)
Mads couldn't even finish dinner that night. She got up from the table, laid down on the couch and was asleep within five minutes. We had to wake her up a half hour later so that she would sleep that night!
The next day, Sunday the 4th, was Nathan's first time to church. It was also the first time he wore a sweater vest! :) What a handsome little dude! (Ten days old)
Mads loves her brother!
The evening of the Fourth we had dinner at Erin & Dave's house. We had to take the usual pictures... First the big sisters: Mads & Alice
Then the little siblings: Nathan and Violet
Then the whole crew!
Ready for bed! (Eleven days old)
On Tuesday, July 6th, we got out of the house and met up with Jen and Isaac at the Menominee Park Zoo. Mads was able to walk around with Isaac and expend some energy while Nathan and I were able to get some fresh air. Mads really liked the llamas and the prairie dogs.
Isaac kept taking Maddie's hand. He just didn't want to walk anywhere without her!! How adorable is this?!!
Here's what Nathan thought of the zoo! (Twelve days old)
Mommy's Snugglesaurus!
This is a typical sight in the house. Mads helping her brother anytime he needs it. She's helping him get his NUK back in.
"Touchdown!" (Fifteen days old)
What a handsome little man!! (17 days old)
Yesterday (July 12) was a big day for Mads! She officially turned TWO and A HALF years old!!
We celebrated last night with homemade Frostys! She thought it was pretty cool to make them in a blender!
Today I had to get some things at Target. This is about the limit of the cart with two kids! If we would've needed anything more I think we would've had to start piling it up on Nathan!
Here are two pictures I took with my camera, so they're not the best quality.
The quickest way to make your tiny daughter look big? Put her next to her newborn brother! Look how big that foot is!

Such an adorable sight... snuggling together in bed!

Well, we should be all caught up now! Thanks for stopping by!
3 comments:
Great post! Great pictures! Beautiful kids! I was the same way with the first & found the second to be easier & less emotional.
I loooove the pictures! What a cute family. :)
He is so cute! How funny that we both could have had "Amelia"s. I totally agree about the warm weather -- both of my older kids were born in the winter and this is much better. Mads looks like such a great big sister. Congratulations again!!!
Post a Comment